11.12.2011

R.I.P. Heavy D

 

So I was trying to find some music to listen to while my daughter cleaned up, and I made dinner for her and I decided to put on "classic hip-hop" (that is how I labeled old school hip hop in my iTunes, think "classic rock").

The "genius" list started off with some Whodini, Grandmaster Flash, Funky 4 + 1 and Afrika Bambaataa but then it skewed modern and played Jingling Baby by LL Cool J and then Mr Big Stuff by  Heavy D & the Boyz.

I said to myself, "I should do a post on Hev..."  The thinking was his unpretentious style and ability to have fun on the mic (yes, rappers used to embrace fun).

The next day he died. I was not a big fan but he did have songs that I really liked. I really liked "Don't You Know" despite the fact there was no actual raping in it at all. "Money Earnin Mt. Vernon" and "Don't Curse" were cool and the "Overweight Lover" was a favorite, as a chubby kid searching for a bit of an identity myself. Unlike the Fat Boys, Hev took that shit and he owned it!

R.I.P




No comments:

Post a Comment