11.17.2011

"He wears a mask just to cover the raw flesh...



a rather ugly brother with flows thats gorgeous" - DOOM




Looks like the Wu has inspired another chef! After hearing a lot of songs from Action Bronson I finally got a chance to listen to him. Of course the initial auditory reaction is the similarities between the sound of his voice, and that of Ghostface Killah's. The following reaction is noticing the similarities between his references and Ghost as well. 

"Slow motion snatch a snapper out the ocean"

"The death spitter, head while I'm on the shitter
Bette Midler..."

This would logically lead your mind to say that he also has a flow like Tony Starks however I don't think that is the case. What is clear is that Mr. Bronson has been heavily influenced by the sounds of the Wu-Tang Clan overall, which makes the Ghost comparison inevitable. I believe his flow and delivery more closely align with Raekwon the Chef actually. 

"The second stanza even deadlier than the first 
From the birth I've been enlisted to plant seeds in the earth
That soon road to a valley that feeds civilization
I'm walkin the torrid land though I'm seekin my vindication from... 
My bad, I'll keep it fifth grade, keep the switchblade
Hilfiger sailing apparel and plus a crisp fade
First day class, the Agassis are black and white
My older cousin puffin pot bitch pass the pipe
Now I'm a certified user, more like a abuser
Slice and dice the music I'm fluid like the Yakuzza"

Look, his influences are obvious, which is fine. On Amuse Bouche from The Program he spits:

"Curtis Martin run the rockin for the Jets
And I would watch my older cousin makin profits of the steps
Made my mind up, never see me husltin for Hondas..."

Martin got to the Jets in '98, which also happens to be smack dab in the middle of the Golden Era of Hip Hop, so clearly his older cousin was bumping lots of Wu-Tang Forever. 

It is clear from listening that he has his own thing as well. Sort of like seeing a young Kobe Bryant. It was clear that Kobe patterned his style of play after Michael Jordan. Every good player borrows elements of established players. Who better than to draw inspiration from?! What is important is that they take those elements and fashion what will become their own game. 

What is clear however is that Action Bronson is very skilled and has a lot of potential. I use the term potential when assessing the skills of new up and coming MCs because you never know if and how much they will grow. It is the same way basketball scouts look at young or rookie basketball players. If Blake Griffin never works to develop other aspects of his game he could just become another side-show dunker that never develops. I believe the word is "upside" Like Blake, Bronsolini has demonstrated the ability to rattle rims with ferocious dunks. He has tremendous "upside".

No comments:

Post a Comment