11.24.2011

"Even if I stuttered I would still...


Sh,sh,shit on you" - Big Pun

 
"B-b-b-bet I am
All of them bitches I’m better than
Mansions in Malibu, Babylon 
But I never mention everything I dabble in
And I always ride slow when I’m straddlin’
And my shit’s so wet you gotta paddle in
Gotta r-r-row, gotta row ya boat
It’s Pink Friday rockers.. and OVO"

- Nicki Minaj off of Drake's "Make me Proud"


Initially I was going to do this post as a Vomitspit, on the "Shit so wet" line. It would have read something like this, "Onika Maraj with fornication suggestions based on her level of arousal". However I felt the need to provide context for her end-rhyme rhyme scheme that she kept going for a few bars. Then I thought I probably should mention her starting with the stutter and then coming back to it later in the verse. Not to mention the thoughtful mispronouncing of the word "Babylon" Next I said to myself, you might as well write about her tendency to accelerate the cadence in her flow while simultaneously altering her pitch, which dramatically affects the her overall delivery. Later I said, "I can't have a blog about elements of lyricism and not have something about Nicki Minaj.

No comments:

Post a Comment