7.08.2009

"You can find me in the club..." 50 Cent

So, I'm cool with songs about a night out in the club. I am equally okay with songs by men talking about all of the women that they "meet" at the club. Hell, you could write rhymes about buckets of piss for all I care, so long as you do it right. And by "right," of course, I mean with thought, effort and skill.

Lupe Fiasco did just that on his song Sunshine from his Food & Liquor album. The Chicagoan begins by fleshing out the awkward nature of approaching a woman "up in tha club" and how chasing chics is usually not his thing.
During the second verse they step outside, now less nervous, they chop it up a bit and he begins to spit game;




"Never met her before
But I think I like her like a metaphor
It's hard to get
in the car we sit
From the intro
she rolled down her window
just in case I was a skitzo
I compliment her on the common sense
I'm calm
A lil more confident (Uh Huh)..."

The song concludes with him getting her phone number and telling her he'd call in the morning;

"Can't trust what each of us say at least for a month
Or two
before I bid you a due
Do this one thing for me outta the trillions of numbers that's in the world
Just leave me a few
that lead to you
Won't be longing, I'll see you in the morning"


From a content standpoint, I really appreciate the songs honesty. From a lyrical standpoint, Lupe is flexing his muscles on this, particularly on the first verse. He says a lot, with few words (a skill that should be named "pulling a Gza") and does some real slick stuff with his word play.




"Uh,
Fresh to def she is
From her steps to her set she is
So def might not let me live
Ya dig
Fresh, uh huh, yes she is
Had a feeling, that it would be a day like this
The orchestra in my mind don't play like this (naw),
But I'm prepared for it
Got a lil rare for it
Brushed off my airs
Even cut my hair for it
'Cause normally I don't care for it
Don't even be looking for light, like that
Then there go it
Yea
right over there
So I prepare to poet
Lil scared
my stare lowered
Momma said have no fear
Plus I'm already outta my chair
Gathered up my airs
on my square from here forward
It's nothing right? so here go it
Whisper in her ear "it's kinda crowded in here
"Would she care to blow it she said "yea""


Sunshine - Lupe Fiasco

2 comments:

  1. Different individuals express themselves in different ways. with hip-hop, some cats can do it more efficiently than others. Some cats do it more clearly than others. Not all of them will touch you, but all of it is their individual artistic expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Difference is not the issue. Nor is it about an artist that "touch" me or not. As you said, some are better at it than others. I am not against those artist right to express themselves. This blog is about skillful writing and delivering of those words and ideas. Either your skilled or not, it is as simple as that brother.

    ReplyDelete