7.12.2009

"...I mean the average fan never heard of a Goodie Mob or a Cee-lo...

but they heard of Gnarls Barkley..." Joe Budden - Who Killed Hip-Hop


It's not everyday you hear Andre 3000 out shined on a track yet that is exactly what happened on Outkast's debut album back in 94'.

Wow, it seems just like yesterday, after picking up my man Dion we would drive around dropping off resumes and applications all over the place. Shortly there after we'd cop a bottle of bumpy face and stop by the Garcia Vega spot and, well...yeah.

After being blessed by the herbs essence, the real magic happened when we'd skip to track number 12, Git up, Get Out, featuring the Goodie Mob.



The first to bless the mic was this charismatic, high pitched, drawl filled, lyrical flame thrower by the name of Cee-Lo Green. While the entire crew did the hook, he stood out above the fray on the matter of fact lyrics.


"Nigga, you need to git up, git out and git somethin
Don't let the days of your life pass by

You need to git up, git out and git somethin

Don't spend all your time tryin to get high
You need git up, git out and git somethin
How will you make it if you never even try?
You need to git up, git out and git somethin
Cuz you and I got to do for you and I"


His vocal pitch, flow and delivery alone were enough to stop us in our tracks.
From a content standpoint, the rhyme spun a realistic tale of a struggling artist dealing with the various obstacles that come along with attempting to get his career jumped off. It also can be interpreted as the familiar tale of a young man cauaught up in the post high school malaise trying to find support and direction.
Make no mistake this is no, woah -is-me-I-can't catch-a-break type of track. Cee-lo is truly reflective and candid about the short coming of the character in the rhyme. Later in the verse he gets into a personal back-and-forth with the aunt he is living with and makes for some lively debate.
This verse, and Cee-Lo, will forever hold a special place in my heart. It was deep, honest and inspiring music. That motivated Dion and I too hand out more applications and make fewer trips to the Garica Vega spot.





"I don't recall, ever graduating at all
Sometimes I feel I'm just a disappointment to y'all
Every day, I just lay around then I can't be found
Always asking give me some livin life like a bum
Nigga, you supposed to be grown
I agree, I try to be the man I'm 'posed to be
But negativity is all you seem to ever see
I admit, I've done some dumb shit
And I'm probably gon do some mo'
You shouldn't hold that against me though (Why not?)
Why not? My music's all that I got
But some time must be invested for this to be manifested
I know you know but I'm gon say this to you I...
Get high but I don't get too high
So what's the limit 'posed to be?
That must be why you can't get your ass up out the bed before three
You need to git up, git out, cut that bullshit out
Ain't you sick and tired of having to do without
And what up with all these questions?
As act as though you know something I don't. Do you have any suggestions?
Cuz every job I get is cruel and demeaning
Sick of taking trash out and toilet bowl cleaning
But I'm also sick and tired of struggling
I never ever thought I'd have resort to drug smuggling
Naw, that ain't what I'm about
Cee-lo will just continue traveling this route
Without any doubt
or fear
I know the Lord ain't brought me this far so he could drop me off here
Did I make myself clear?"

Git up, Git out - Outkast feat Goodie Mob

2 comments:

  1. Point well taken. I feel like I was right there with you and Daba...cause you and I got to do for you and I.

    ReplyDelete