7.10.2009

"I want a girl when I want a girl...

...and when I don't want a girl I want a girl who understands that" - Phonte of Little Brother

So...It is no secret that I am a sucker for reflective and emotional music in general. I am also in the tank for MCs that show some level of introspection on their tracks. Which is on of several reasons why I am a big fan of Phone from (or formerly of?) North Carolina trio, Little Brother.




The verse I am writing about is from the song Take it Slow from the Minstrel Show. Little Brother are no strangers to touching on real life issues in their music. This one in particular is about dealing with relationships with women. Now, if you took your cues from Corporate Hip-Hop music, then you would think that most rappers' idea of relationships included either the strip club, or for the "good" girls- 4am at the Waffle House. Reality is, for those of us that are not fortunate enough to have "chics back it up like 'berp, berp'", relationships can be complicated things.

Phonte broke out his pen and dedicated an honest look at the subject. He has the last two verses on the song and uses the first one to employ his characteristic light and humorous approach to topics:

"I'll scoop you up in my Porsche
sike
You know I got a Nissan
That I'm still paying for
Still got a lease on..."

He follows that verse by effectively communicating what he wants and does not want in a relationship. Be clear, this verse is not about deft lyricism, simply a man putting his thoughts to the beat.

Listen AND read...(yes, at the same time stupid!)


Fwd to the 2:32 mark for the last verse.

"Sometimes I think I'm from another world (preach)
When I'm tryna tell a woman just exactly where I stand at (aight)
I want a girl, when I want a girl
And when I don't want a girl, I want a girl who understands that
And that's some hard shit to explain
To a woman that's in love with you, it's a pitiful thing
Until I had to figure
That I don't wanna play around, but I don't wanna settle down and that's a man's dilemma 'Cause every man remembers
How his daddy and his uncles did it
'Cause more than likely
that's the way they're gonna do it
I know it sound fucked up and most won't admit it
But yo, I gotta face it 'cause I know I'm living through it
'Cause when the party stops and niggaz get old
And the chain and the cars and the houses get sold
And that
Other side of the bed gets cold, you don't wanna be alone
So girl I'm tryna hold you." Phonte of Little Brother

Download Take it Slow - Little Brother

1 comment:

  1. i forgot what a deep verse that is - always get stuck chanting that couplet you used for the title...selfish but true. nice post tho! lb is still one of my favorite live acts ever.

    ReplyDelete