8.16.2013

"Competition is none!" -Rakim

Competition has been long been part of Hip-Hop culture. The music of that culture is no different. From Rakim's No Competition, to I'm Still #1 by KRS-One, cats that felt like they were that deal, said so on the mic. Hell, even Nelly attempted to have his say on whose the best. That's why I was happy after hearing the Big Sean song, Control that featured Jay Electronica and Kendrick Lamar.


I have always liked Kendrick's spirit, and he is definitely making a big statement with his verse but I wouldn't necessarily call it a diss song. He is just flexing. A call to arms. Most importantly he is rapping about his skill and ability on the mic. He is saying that he is a better emcee than his peers, and he uses his flow, wordplay, and lyrics to support his claim. He's not saying he's the best because his clothes are cuter, or because of who signed a contract with. He's not saying he's better because he has sold more drugs, or killed more black people than other rappers. Nor because he has more sexual relationships and more expensive cars than his peers. And not because he has 'house money on his wrist', or spends the most money in strip clubs.

He is saying he is better simply as an author and deliverer of dope rhymes. He's talking about his craft. The art.

Refreshing.

I came across this convo between 9th Wonder and Young Guru about the song and its possible impact. I don't agree with all, and I tend to dismiss people that talk about earnings and radio play when debating the quality of the product. That said, lots of it is spot on.


UPDATE: I like what these guys had to say too. Although I disagree with the "hot" vs "lyrics" distinction Talib made. 



No comments:

Post a Comment