8.28.2013

"Turn writers block to a block party..." -Radimiz

I came across this video around the same time I watched the first "2011 Best of Brooklyn" cypher. I watched this joint like multiple times smiling ear to ear the whole while. Somewhere under a random bridge in Brooklyn, these cats are the living spirit of Hip-Hop culture and music. The setting. The vibe. The rhymes. Everything.





Content wise it is classic braggadocio rap, bars about how skilled you are. Noticeably absent are the radio rap staples, strip clubs, killing blacks, and international drug trade. These cats rhymes reveal that they are very much aware of the current lyrical landscape of corporate controlled rap, and their own position amongst it.

"These fake hip-hoper's dont like me Cuz my speech got'em blinded but my teeth aint icy

"No I don't smoke 50 blunts, no I don't got mad tats, but I got a 16 strong enough to bring back pun"

"Since when was being real a hate crime"

"Money don't make the world spin it make it Cat Daddy
You do the Shoulder Lean, you make your stack double...?"

Madwiz's impromptu dedication to the NYD officers just before going into his bars (and their subsequent response), Radamiz taking over the beatboxing duties so the DJ can get his chance on the mic at the end are all hip hop at its best. The spirit and camaraderie of a cypher is a beautiful thing to watch. They are just giddy of each others bars.

Catchy punchlines and flows don't tell the beauty of this clip. Despite the best efforts of radio, TV, and even the press, pull these dudes are doing it the real way. Being themselves. Not adhering to tired and trite formula. I think it's dope how their on some freestyle ish. Just having fun. And you can tell.

Cyphers > Rap Battles





"I'm happy now turn writers block to a block party n****" My favorite line!!!

"I said fuck politics, polish it with a pot of spitz?
Love anonymous get a lot of it when I stop and spit
Acknowledge it 
Every motherfuckin line I spit
Hit you like weapons with the expression like you gotta shit
Who want it?! 
I leave stomachs in knots and bits
And I'm known to rock 16 like Stojakovic"


"No I dont got fifty tats 
No I don't smoke mad blunts 
But I got a 16 strong enough to bring back Pun
...And thats sober nigga 
put you in a clutch like a cobra sippin Folgers watchin Oprah like a older nigga


"Little Wu-Tang with some Metal Faced Doomsday
Any doomsday these two 8's make the moon shake
That's the 16 for you niggas with the stoop face
'Fore you get buck out your mouth, get your tooth straight"



"Flow so mysterious
The way I keep going is delirious
Cute16's, with no periods."

No comments:

Post a Comment