12.22.2011

Voice - A$AP Rocky


"This is why, this is why, this is why I’m hot
I'm hot cuz I am, you ain't cuz you not
This is why, this is why, this is why I'm hot." Mims


This is not my typical post about voice. Normally, I would highlight an MC who I think has a good rap voice. This however is more about voice in the way that authors or trained actors use when they are taking on a role on an individual that speaks with an accent or in a particular dialect.
This is all I could think about when listening to young Harlem upstart A$AP Rocky. Despite being from Harlem rocky draws most of is inspiration from Texas, namely Houston, rap culture. I am not talking about Geto Boys, Big Mike and Scarface Houston (although that would be awesome). I am talking Lil Flip, Paul Wall, Mike Jones, Slim Thug, Houston. His D.J. Screw inspired 'throwed' flow has got him some buzz and a decent little fan base. 
 
Borrowing from, or being inspired by, artists that are from a different region from you is nothing new. Again, I grew up on Willie D and Bushwick Bill so I can relate. I have also read a bunch of interviews with Southern rappers whose early works were a facsimile of their Northern cousins. More recently Cam'ron and the Dips found inspirations in Midwest aesthetic, and 50 Cent's southern twang wasn't just about his gun wound. Purple City, a below the Mason-Dixon line inspired album remains a favorite for me.
As a an MC, well, lets just say Rocky is still at the rapper stage. Sure, he shows some promise, but he has a way to go for his overall development. I can't help but wonder is he would be getting the same buzz if he had a flow similar to Murder Mase, Herb McGruff or some other cat from his borough. Clearly these days rapping like your from Swishahouse is more profitable than raping like Harlem's own Children of the Corn.
 

But at the same time I respect A$AP for being inspired by other artists, and not simply to make a buck. A few weeks ago I went to see a non rap show where the opening act announced that they were all from upstate New York, then proceeded to whip out banjo's and play Bluegrass. For a second I was expecting the Klan to roll up in there! Point being, artists find inspiration all around.





No comments:

Post a Comment