4.17.2013

Double Dutch

J DillaxCommon
E=MC
The Shining

"Get up get up, and rock, and rock 
The hum the hum it knock it knock
...You out the atmosphere
This rap here something that I felt in the moment
...Of truth, opponents in the booth
Inspired, cuz what I write is fire like 'wooosh' "

 

I don't write about beats. But it's hard to ignore this one. The J Dilla track wages war with the rhyme in a 3:29 second long battle. I'd call it a draw.  

Common matches the spirit of his lyrics and his flow to that of the beat in his songs. The first eight bars sound like being in a freestyle cypher. It's reminiscent of the feigning that happens before leaping into the swinging ropes of double dutch. Bobing and timing the rhythm of the rope hitting the ground before committing to air.

After landing safely in between the ropes and onto the beat, he uses onomatopoeia to describe his writing. I love when emcees' use onomatopoeia, but I never know to spell it the way they intended. Liner notes please!

No comments:

Post a Comment