4.19.2013

"I don't need her to do my dishes, I need her to do my stitches." -Homeboy Sandman

I'm not going to argue the artistic merits of a line about drugging and raping women. Rick Ross's song lyrics have been in the news lately, but bars like these aren't new news. Many rappers have penned similar lines. Art is art...I get it. 

This is different though. If this line was merely one among a wide range of Mr. Ross's pieces, which touched on a variety of topics and themes, then I'd possibly buy the art argument. Or if it were simply one intentionally used scene from a longer complex movie. However his catalog is not that varied -though he is talented enough for it to be. So I ain't buying it. 

Though the current climate of commerical Hip Hop music makes it difficult, I try to focus my energies on the good. Quality writing and flow are the most important thing. I'd prefer to allow the lyrics of his peers to serve as a counter narrative to the one that dominates the public's ear.

This will become a reoccurring post. Like all of the others, this title is also a nod to a line from a particular artist. This one is named after a Homeboy Sandman line from  The Rain from First of a Living Breed. The bars at the end of the first verse stand up well against the sea of sexist bars that flood the air waves. 


"Don't run with a dame cause a dame's fetching
We run with a dame cause her pro-fession is playing her po-sition
 

Not talking about hoes or staying home in the kitchen
I'm talking about queens, homey those different, they roll for the whole mission
...My Mrs ain't sub-missive
A leader

I don't need her to do my dishes I need her to do my stitches"

Boy Sand taking bout' going all in here. Talking partnership in the truest sense. Comrades in the fight for social change in a crazy world. One that can leave you wounded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment