4.20.2010

"It's Mostly the Voice" - Guru

"I hit studio didn't know what to write
First line should it be about the hoes or the ice?
fo-fo's or Black Christ?
Both flows would be nice
Rap about big paper or the black man's plight?" Nas

That Nas line was in my head when I was first starting to think about what to write in response to the passing of Keith Elam. It is hard because there are so many different angels to take. First of all, he was an MC's MC. Great delivery, versatile content, and of course, that voice. But also he is from Roxbury so I always held a special place in my heart for him. While I don't really remember any specific songs of his from those early days, I do remember there were two groups with the name "Gang Starr", and that they had a lil beef around it. Years later I actually shared a few brief words with him one time about about 11 years ago. I think i'll start there.


Me,my man Hobb, and a few other members of the crew drove down to this small club in Providence to see Gang Starr rock it. Also on the stage that night was this new rapper dudes was calling Nasty Nas. After about 8 Heinekens, and several Garcia Vegas I noticed that Guru was standing up near the front of the stage right near where we were. As much I loved and respected his music, it always irked me that he shouted out New York so much in his songs. Maybe it was the Sox vs Yanks thing but regardless, I felt that he needed to show the Boston more love.

Anyway, in my blunted mind, it seemed like a good idea to go approach him and ask him about it. I told him I was a big fan and wondered why no love for his home town. He was really cool, dapped me up, and proceeded to say that he has lots of love for Boston but he was having such a hard time getting on, and felt like people were not helping him. He went on to say that when he got to New York he met folks that embraced him and helped him get to the next level.

Pretty thoughtful answer when you consider the question was posed by a bent teenager in the middle of a show. His answer affirmed all of my early adulation.

It turns out Guru was wrong. It was not just his "voice"...it was his character too.

R.I.P

No comments:

Post a Comment