6.16.2011

"...but don't be alarmed I rap I don't bite...

, you or your rhymes I write my own, Tyrannosaurus Rex on the microphone - T-Rex



My 5 year old has been on musical hyperdrive since she was born. Indie and classic rock, blues, good pop, gospel, and select hip hop.  I have never been a fan of "childrens music" because most of it, is, well, just bad music. That was before I was made aware of the Dino-5! (Late pass...they been out since 08!)

I was reading an interview with the legendary Prince Paul who was going to spin at a club downtown that night. In passing, the interviewer mentioned his recent projects including one that was "a kids hip-hop album". I downloaded right away and was more than pleased.

The group consists of Chali 2na (Jurrasic 5 ) Scratch (The Roots), Wordsworth, and Lady Bug Mecca (Digable Planets). The album had guest appearances from poet Ursula Rucker and De La Soul.



I don't want to get into a review because this is a hip-hop lyrics blog after all. I selected the song, "What about Ten", because it is just sooo hip-hop. Each rhyme sayer gets their 9 cracks at coming up with some phrase that goes along with numerals one through nine. They tie up the final verse by each taking their turn at matching the number.

Good stuff, call and response and all of that ish you backpack purists love.




BTW,

A week after letting my daughter hear this, we were in the G Ride and she just starts spitting straight fire for like 20 minutes straight. She was 4 at the time. I mean, I didn't even have anything inspiring playing. She just starts going on and on about her cousin, and her being her best friend and all kinds of random ish.  Lots of repetition but she was riding the beat. Now, it's not like Dino-5 is the first hip-hop she has heard but they may have sparked something...it was sorta scary...

No comments:

Post a Comment