5.04.2010

Tuesday's used to matter, now the only thing that happens is...

you, you and you sayin' "shit I been had that, shit I been heard that, niggas been workin, hurricane clappin lyracism aint workin..." - Wale

Before I get into the post let me just say how much the above line resonated with me when I first heard it. Like many die hard hip-hop music fans pre -i Tunes singles, Tuesday's indeed mattered. I can remember countless releases that I trekked up to the old Tower Records on Mass Ave to cop the dopest new release. Standing outside in line with fellow hip-hop heads was a source of real pride and genuine excitement. I couldn't wait to get rip the tape covering off, press play, and spark.
Anyway, enough old man talk. When I first heard Wale's, The Mixtape about Nothing I was unbelievably impressed. Originality, dope flow, lyrics, and a real DC/Go Go vibe. Dude seemed to have all of the tools. I remember hyping him to all that would listen. Then I read that he signed with a major label and I got sad. My gut told me that those ass hats would have no idea what to do with a talented young cat with all of his tools (charisma, skill, originality, etc) I feared that they would dumb down his product and attempt to make him into a character.

As he generated more mainstream buzz and prepped for a release of a major album I just closed my eyes, hoped for the best and bumped his mixtape stuff. In my gut I knew they were gonna market him on some ol' funny shit, and turn him into what they thought would sell, as opposed to cultivate his clear and apparent talent.

One day my man said, "Dog, I coped that new Wale...you might have been right" My worse fears were confirmed.

I coped the Wale album on the strength however, to this day, I have yet to muster up the courage listen to it...

SMH @ fucking major labels....ruin everything

"And my, my, my
Admire what I write
Cuz hype will get you Rick Mirer'd every single time...






Check it, so, my chin's high like a Japanese pilot
They frontin', they Charles S. Dutton movin' garbage
And what you callin' that so-called hard shit?
Nun like me, like I, founded a convent
To contend my content I'm on ends meet like a vegetable omelet, see?
So the more you see, it's few niggas speakin' like me
So they put me in the box with he, and he
And them which is more of a circus than a fair
They work to get there so to work to get theirs
I'll be nothin' but a replica lookin' in the mirror
Respect still there but ya boy's right here
We apples and oranges but everybody pears/pair us
They say I'm Lupe, they say I'm Lil' Wayne
They say I'm too Jay to portray new-Le
They say I'm too nice to be a rapper
The prerequisite is gun clappin' so what happened?
They label me a backpackin' nigga on fashion
I laugh at 'em, though Mr. West I ain't mad at ya
See, he in his soul mode, I'm in my go go
Only thing in common is these fuckin' Matsumotos
Yeah live from the SoHo, and Hov told me I'd blow Joe
See I rap like a lifetime blown nose
All I know is I'm merely ??
Meaning I'm lesser than a god but higher up than ya'll
A Lion in form, Matt Leinart when firing the ball
Pause Maya Angelou spawn, abandoned and raised by Nas
Raised by the sharks but I'm swimming with the prawns
I found my own lane, meet Mr. Folarin

No comments:

Post a Comment