3.20.2013

Skinny Boyz

I was happy to find that a television show used Jockbox by the Skinny Boys as their theme song. Despite my feelings about the corporatizing of hip-hop culture and music, old heads like me still feel validated in these instances. Besides, Workaholics is smart and funny. 




My first encounter with this song was as a sixth grader listening to WRBB. Northeastern University's radio station had a show hosted by Skeeter and Wallace T and they were both dope. The signal limited it's reception to half of the South End and Lower Roxbury. Anyway, some of my friends wrote the Skinny Boys off as biting the Fat Boys. That may have been true but there was no denying how hard that song hit. The intro is beautiful- I still cant figure out which 80's R&B song he's mimicking. At least a top ten beat-box song, maybe top five.




No comments:

Post a Comment