3.28.2013

"...Anyway that's how I seen it...."

Unsettling. Disconcerting. I'm trying to find the words that describe how i felt after hearing I'm dead, by Scarface off of his debut solo album the Mr Scarface is Back.

Not sure what it us that made me have an emotional reaction to this track. Brad Jordan certainly was no stranger to dealing with morbid topics.

It may be the beat. It has a breezy vibe to it. Heavy D used it to brag about how attracted women were to him. And I'm certain The Meters didn't have death on their mind while crafting it. Other emcees might have chosen to use it as a backdrop for a more festive tale. Not Scarface.



Additionally, the track placement may have played a role. This was the last song on the album. An album filled with violent narratives. Initially, the brevity and lack of a hook made it feel like a throwaway.

I am also wondering what role Face's delivery played in my feelings towards the song. He was much less animated than in the other songs on the album. It is very matter of fact. Almost sounding defeated at times.

Responding to a friends death he raps....

      His eyes showed fear, that's the reason why he stuck him
     Anyway, that's how I seen it
     You rarely see a nigga kill another nigga,
     And he doesn't mean it
     So that's the way I took it
     Anyway the boy is dead, no matter how you look at it
     And life goes on.



It's Scarface. He's dope. Anyway that's how I see it.....




I woke up to a tune on the radio, check it
An old church hymn behind a break-beat record (yeahhh)
Sounded kinda funky so I pumped it, right
But rudely interrupted by a neighborhood street fight
When will you motherfuckers quit?
Every motherfuckin mornin it's the same ol bullshit
I peeped to see the thrashin
Some nigga runnin with a butcher knife, screamin out "assassin!"
He ran by a friend of mine, and bucked him
His eyes showed fear, that's the reason why he stuck him
Anyway, that's how I seen it
You rarely see a nigga kill another nigga,
And he doesn't mean it
So that's the way I took it
Anyway the boy is dead, no matter how you look at it
And life goes on.
I was feelin kinda funny, a yo something's wrong
I went to take a shower duke
Bumped into the wall and I smooth went through
Now I'm thinkin I'm in trouble
I reached to touch my face, but I couldn't feel my beard stubble
I screamed, "oh lord help!"
Looked into the mirror and I couldn't see myself
I called up my mom's house
And realized somethin was wrong, no doubt
She picked up, said "hello" in a low tone
I said, "hey ma!" and she hung up the telephone
Sick and lookin weary
My cousin walks in, I said, "what's up? " but he didn't hear me
Started packin up my shit g
Looked at a picture of me, put it down and said, "rest in peace"
Realizin what he said man
I can't talk, I don't exist, I'm a dead man
Yeah I guess I'm dead right?
I'm goin to the cemetery to peep out action's grave site
And sure enough, there it is
My mom and girl talkin, holdin on to Brad's kids
I look into the box g
Son of a bitch! I don't believe it, that's me!
Momma kissed me on my head
Aww shit. I'm dead (I'm dead)

No comments:

Post a Comment