12.17.2012

"VALUE, is what I'm talkin bout..." - Andre 3000


My Grandaddy Car by Scotty is a nice laid back, drive 15 MPH around the neighborhood song. But that's not all it is.

It's a statement of deference to a different period of time. Scotty simultaneously salutes his grandfather, while paying homage to classic American craftsmanship in automobiles. His measured flow does not temper his passionate delivery on both topics.

Nice song. Solid video. Wonderful concept.







This actually, in someway, reminded me of a couple of different rhymes from Andre 3000. Same hood, same love of classic cars I suppose. Anyway, the last part of the super long, A Life in the Day of Benjamin Andre (Incomplete), and the brief tangent in the middle of the verse he inexplicably recorded with UNK on one of the many Walk It Out remixes (which deserves a whole post BTW!)


Walk It Out
"I could give a damn 'bout your car, but then I would be
If it was considered a classic before the drastic change in production when cars were metal instead of plastic
VALUE....is what I'm talkin about
Take two of these and walk it out
YOU be the reason they talk it out"


.

A Life in the Day of Benjamin Andre (Incomplete)
"You do the arithmetic, me do the language arts
Y'all stand against the wall blindfolded me throw the darts
To poke you in the heart and take you from the start
To one luxury transportation and a Marta card
Or either when your girlfriend that went to Mays
Momma or her daddy let her borrow the Benz because she's smart
Or maybe if your neighbor does you a huge favor
And he sells you that Rabbit that's been sitting in his yard
You fix it up, you trick it out, you give it rims, you give it bump
You give it all your time because that's all you can think about
...And that's as far as I got"

[Talking] 
And that's as far as I got, and where I wanted to go
Knowing the whole time that's all you could think about
Even though if you cut it off and start that bitch up
You need a jump like you'll need in your rump to grow
And you change all the time so that rabbit that you thought about
That whole summer, the next summer you didn't want
That rabbit no more
You wanted something bigger and better

So the summer past and the rabbit is old?
Right, right, so now you want a Cadillac..?

No comments:

Post a Comment