6.22.2009

Happy Fathers Day!

"It's about time we have a father to son
sit down let me tell you 'bout your fatherless sons
How, they grew to be men, father they sons
Father they daughters
Nikka, you left a fatherless daughter
I'll never follow your orders!" - Beanie Siegal

For full disclosure, I am completely biased toward introspective, hardcore "emo" rap lyrics. However, for more reasons than that, I totally connected with this song when I I first heard it on Jay-Z’s Dynasty album. Beanie rhymed first and Hov second, and they both put forth a stellar effort. In addition to the above, Beans verse was littered with quotables such as:







"I remember being kicked out the house
'cause I looked just like you
Said I'd be nothing but a crook
just like you
The niggaz in the hood was shook
Or they just liked you
'Cause all they said was little whitey look
I'm just like you
But dog I can't see it at all (shit)
We never kicked it at all
We never pitched or kicked at a ball
dog, you never taught me shit
how to fight, ride a bike, fix the flat
none of that sorts of shit.."


16 Where Have You Been.mp3


While Jay didn't dig as deep as Beans did, he still held it down on his verse. He apparently held his best for the follow-up song a year later on Still Got Love for You on Beanie Seigal's The Reason. "For the record ya'll" Siegal stated calmly in the songs introduction. This song was a response to criticism of the biting nature of the first one.

Beanie set it off with...

"Dynasty album, track 16, listen scrap
I can't take back that sixteen
Shit the truth spoke, I gotta give the world true quotes
Can you feel it? I know the truth hurts"

Followed up with...


They say, "How can he disrespect his pop with harsh curses?"
Simple - harsh life, harsh verses.."

Taking a cue form Beans, Jay comes in and gives us a rare introspective and emotional blackout....

"(I think you misunderstood me the first time..)
Listen - that my hurt in my heart talkin, along with the truth
I would thirst often as a youth cause of you the person
Moms nursin self-esteem issues
Round the house it's hard to find a clean tissue, minus her tears
To rewind this time I promise I minused my years
to the day to take her pain away
Seemed sunny outside, always rained on Jay
Pop you my umbrella, come help your son with the weather
Soon we come together like man and man and build
Play spades, cards face up, I've come to deal
In order to get right we gotta deal with this wrong
And the pain I felt all my life you feel in the song
Your lack of warmth left a chill in the morn'
Your lack of love, left me loveless, and I'm of your breath
I'm your mind body and soul, your heart, your flesh
Your alcohol, your smoking results I'm a mess dad!
Still I love you no less dad
Hope you didn't think success would make me less mad
I'm not mad, just disappointed - we wasted years
I swear to God, may you take me away from here
If you taught me anything
The one thing you taught me is to face my fears, coward
How could you let me grow without you?
Grind in this rap game, take dough without you?
Wear my Pro Keds close to the sole without you?
Family pictures posed without you - WHY?! ..
Why shouldn't I be mad?
Monster's parents separated, Monster had his dad
D's parents had they problems, he still came to the pad
He bought 'em new bikes, imagine what that felt like
Used to have to bump my head to go to sleep at night
Nigga you did me wrong but the love is strong, let's move on"

As usual, this ain't slam poetry so you listening to the MCs ride the beat, in addition to reading the lyrics is a must!

13 Still Got Love For You feat. J.mp3



Still Got Love For You - Beanie Siegal, feat. Jay-Z

2 comments:

  1. i was listening to the backspin on 94.5 on father's day. the father's day song they chose? "papa was a rolling stone".

    ReplyDelete